Beekeeping, also known as apiculture, is the process of keeping bee colonies or hives in order to obtain their honey or other commercially valuable products.
Since many years ago, apiculture has been practiced all throughout India as a form of agriculture. This is due to the fact that keeping a beehive doesn’t cost a lot of money or work. Not even rich land is necessary. The fact that so many plants and harvests depend on honeybees for pollination also benefits farmers greatly. Honey and other bee farm products including beeswax, royal jelly, and bee venom have a market value and can boost farmers’ revenue.
The market’s increasing need for honey suggests that apiculture in India can currently become a successful business. Let’s discuss the goods made in India as a result of beekeeping. It is used to make two important products, namely honey and honey wax. This agro-based company is open to any farmer looking to supplement their income. The production of honey is a traditional activity.
How to set up a honeybee farm?
Starting and expanding a honey business involves numerous factors, including the availability of funding, capital expenditures, apiary locations, transportation, handling, equipment, buildings, employees, storage, and legal requirements. All of these points will be enunciated further below for your better understanding and comprehension.
1. The Need for Location
It is important to learn which kind of beekeeping farm should be employed before beginning honey bee farming because it merits some original concepts. Bees will need sunlight, water, and a sturdy hive; during certain times of the year, they can also require food. If possible, it is better to set up the hive next to a fence or sheltered tree line. whereby bees will travel great distances in search of enough pollen. Bees gather pollen from grasses, weeds, herbs, trees, flowers, and bushes. Although it’s not necessary to have a lush flower bed on the property, having a diverse garden will ensure that the bees have plenty of food.
2. Hive Concerns
The first year of keeping a beehive will be different for you as a beginning beekeeper at every stage of the year. You could be witnessing a colony for the first time; a colony has varied appearances and behaviors throughout the spring, summer, fall, and winter. If you can afford it, we highly advise beginning your beekeeping career in India with two hives. With twin hives, you will realize that there is something different between them even if you haven’t seen anything amiss yet. Also, keep in mind that far more than 40percent of the total beekeepers fail to make it through the preceding year. You will regrettably have to start again the next year if you just have a single hive and it can result in a huge loss.
3. Different species of honeybee:
A beehive typically has a queen, hundreds of drones, and thousands of worker bees; hence, a colony may have three species or more. In this, the queen bee is a female bee with the ability to reproduce. Additionally, worker bees are sterile bees unable to reproduce, whereas drone bees are male. Some prominent bee species include the ones listed below.
- Apis Dorsata: Another name for this species is the rock bee. It is a massive bee, and each colony makes 38–40 kilograms of honey annually.
- Apis indica: The Indian bee is another name for Apis indica. It is widely used to make honey and is simple to domesticate. Each colony of Apis indica produces 2 to 5 kilograms annually.
- Apis Florea: Another name for it is Little Bee. Honey is simple to remove from its hive since it rarely hurts. Each colony thus generates roughly 1 kilo of honey every year.
- Apis mellifera, or the Italian bee, is another name for this species. It hurts less than the lesser species and performs a highly specialized dance routine to announce the availability of food.
4. Equipment required:
The size of your business, the quantity of colonies, and the sort of honey you produce all affect the equipment’s circumstances. However, the essential items you require include smoker and hive equipment, hive components, protective clothing, and harvesting instruments for honey. A bee colony lives in a man-made building called a hive. Over time, several different types of hives have been created.
5. Profit and funds:
Honey is the primary commodity that beekeepers may sell to customers, businesses, or people to make money. The company is also able to obtain loans. In the nation, there is an increasing need for raw and pure honey. If you have the right connections and resources, you could bottle the honey and market it under your own name, or you could sell this bottled, organic honey directly to supermarkets, eateries, and other food businesses. As you might already be aware, demand for and prices for all things organic are rising. The royal jelly, bee venom, bee wax, and pollen are other things from which you might make extra money.
The government is offering assistance by providing loans through nationalized banks if you lack the funds necessary to launch your firm. Since this industry comes under the SSI category, you may easily obtain loans from 2 to 5 lakhs.
Few tips to enhance your business in this field
Before commencing this enterprise, a farmer beginning honey bee production has to keep a few things in mind. To put it another way, the farmer or entrepreneur might need to do the following before launching this firm.
- The business owner should create a successful plan for utilizing the tools and marketing the goods.
- Set only reasonable goals while creating a bee farming strategic plan, and begin modest in the early stages. After gaining some exposure in the Indian honey industry, you may then consider bigger initiatives.
- The local circumstances will, however, determine what tools may be utilized and which species of bees should be raised in this project.
- Entrepreneurs or farmers working on honey bee projects should choose a local sales representative in advance. In addition, local bakeries, candy producers, ayurvedic pharmaceutical firms, and many more might be honey’s biggest consumers.
From afar, starting a new business may seem like an impossibly difficult task, but as you become more comfortable with the essentials, your confidence and knowledge will also start to develop. In order to succeed after a great start, it’s crucial that you keep your discipline and attention. The fundamentals and vital components required to succeed in this business are now well within your grasp. The ffreedom app has a number of courses and modules in this field for a clearer and better understanding. Check it out for more details.